Suggestions

Jul 13, 2015 at 7:27 PM
Edited Jul 14, 2015 at 1:52 AM
1: Would it be possible for you to add the ability to make custom sets? i.e. You select Ebonstone, Pearlstone, Ebonsand, and Pearlsand, and select some button that says "Save to Set" then you can name the set, add/remove blocks from the set, and even change the name of the set.

2: Ability to darken certain blocks rather than highlight them? Say you want to darken just Ebonstone for whatever reason. Currently the only way to do it would be to highlight EVERYTHING except the Ebonstone, then wait for the highlighting process to finish, which, for relatively low-end machines like mine, can take 120+ seconds (tested).

3: Custom highlight colors? Not sure this needs explaining, but the ability to choose what colors certain blocks are highlighted as, rather than just their regular color.

4: Hotkeys. Especially if you implement the custom sets. Just be able to press Shift + 1-9 (depending on which custom set you want, and if there will only be 9 custom sets) to automatically deselect everything that's currently selected in the list, select everything from the custom set, and then start the highlighting process. Could also have hotkeys for certain pre-made sets, such as Shift + H to select and highlight the Hallow set, Shift + C to do the same for Corruption, Shift + Alt + C for Crimson, etc.

5: Move sets to a seperate drop-down menu from the regular blocks? Still function the same way, just in a seperate menu.

Well, that's all my ideas. I'm hoping at least 1, 4, and 5 make it. Anyways, cheers, and thanks for the awesome program. :)

EDIT: Would also like to point out a bug: Hallow Sandstone Wall doesn't seem to highlight even when it's selected.
EDIT EDIT: Neither does Hallow Sandstone Wall
Coordinator
Jul 16, 2015 at 1:56 AM
Edited Jul 16, 2015 at 2:56 PM
I just published TerraMap v1.3.3.0, which should take care of 1, 4, and 5. Suggestions 2 and 3 will require some more thought... :)
Marked as answer by jcoon on 7/22/2015 at 5:06 PM
Jul 16, 2015 at 3:30 AM
Edited Jul 16, 2015 at 3:51 AM
Just when I thought TerraMap couldn't get any better... you're the best! :D

EDIT: I can't seem to figure out how to make the custom sets. Hopefully it isn't anything too obvious. :S
Coordinator
Jul 16, 2015 at 3:07 PM
Thanks! Sorry for the trouble with custom sets. It's not obvious how to customize them. I plan to make a set editor UI, but for now it requires editing an XML text file.

I included the default sets in a file named sets-default.xml. You can edit this file to change the default sets, create your own sets, reorder them, etc, but the file could be overwritten if you upgrade to a new version of TerraMap in the future.

For this reason, I first check for a file named sets.xml. If it exists, I load it. If not, I load the defaults. TerraMap won't include this file by default, so there's no risk of it being overwritten by a future update. So, to create your own sets:
  • Create a copy of the sets-default.xml file named sets.xml.
  • Edit the file in the text editor of your choice (Notepad, Sublime Text, Notepad++, Vim, Atom, Emacs, etc).
  • Pay close attention to the XML format. Unfortunately, one little mistake can make the file invalid.
  • Sets can contain any combination of one or more tile, item, and wall entry.
  • The tile, item, and wall entries can specify either a name or num (needs to match what's specified in tiles.xml).
  • Sets appear in the menu in the same order they appear in the file.
  • Save the file, and start/restart TerraMap.
Let me know if you're still having any problems.
Jul 16, 2015 at 9:37 PM
Thank you very much! Look forward to seeing the UI for it. :) Now all I need for my dreams to come true is for TEdit to have an official, stable update for 1.3 xD
Coordinator
Jul 18, 2015 at 3:15 PM
OK, just published 1.3.4, which adds a customizable set editor UI. Let me know if you have any questions or problems with it.

Sorry, can't help with TEdit. :)
Coordinator
Jul 23, 2015 at 1:04 AM
I just published 1.3.5, which adds your suggestions 2 and 3 (invert highlight, and highlight color picker). :)
Marked as answer by jcoon on 7/22/2015 at 5:05 PM
Jul 23, 2015 at 1:09 AM
Awesome! :D Will these ones need a special process to do like the sets initially did, or do they have UIs? :P
Coordinator
Jul 23, 2015 at 1:18 AM
No special process required. :) There's an 'Invert Highlight' button and color picker on the toolbar, right next to the 'Highlight All' button.
Jul 23, 2015 at 2:34 AM
Sweet!