Some suggestions to play with the .map file.

Editor
Aug 9, 2015 at 2:18 AM
Hi

Here are 3 ideas for terramap.

spoilerless map :
Use the .MAP file of the world and apply it as a mask into terramap. This way we get a nice mapping of the explored parts of the world without spoilers.
What i call spoilers are knowing the position of the jungle temple or the bee hives too early in the game.

prefill the ingame map
Use the data terramap gets from the .WLD file to fill the .MAP file. This doesn't need to be the perfect colors or shadows, it just fills the map and gives the player an accurate enough map.

only render the .MAP
This would be a good replacement of the screenshot function to get good pictures of the explored part of a world.

What do you think ?
Coordinator
Aug 11, 2015 at 4:09 PM
The first idea is something I've been wanting to do for some time, thanks for the push. I think I got it mostly working, committed the code last night, and hope to put out a new release soon.

There's now a Player drop down list right next to the world one. When a world is selected, TerraMap will scan the user and Steam Cloud directories for player map files that match the selected world. The player list defaults to (No Spoilers), which hides everything. You can then select a player to unmask what they've seen of the world in-game. You can also choose (All Spoilers), which shows everything, just as TerraMap did previously. Tiles in masked areas don't show information in the status bar or right-click context menu.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean with ideas 2 and 3. Can you elaborate?

Thanks!
Coordinator
Aug 12, 2015 at 11:39 PM
OK, I just published v1.3.8 with the new player selector: https://terramap.codeplex.com/releases/view/616781
Marked as answer by jcoon on 11/15/2016 at 11:45 AM
Editor
Aug 13, 2015 at 7:21 PM
Edited Aug 13, 2015 at 7:24 PM
Hi,
i'm playing with the 1.3.8 and it's nice. !!! good job.

idea 2
Take the datas from the .WLD, generate a .MAP. So a player on a new world has instantly a minimap that reveals 100% of the map (ores, caverns, abandonned houses,).

idea 3
discard this idea.